Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Lens Fliters

  1. #1
    technicolour
    Guest technicolour's Avatar

    Question

    Hi Everybody,

    This is my first post for month, and the weather has been pretty terrible in England up to this weekend, and yesterday I decided to shoot a roll of k40 thats been sitting in my draw for ages. I noticed on my camera that it has filter threads, and I was wondering would a polorising filter work with a cine camera, Id like to achieve really saturated colour and I was just wondering if it would work ok.

    Thanks

    ------------------
    Jim

  2. #2
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    Filters and gels are a basic part of cinemtography. Yes, a Pol filter will help increase sat and cont sunlit scenes. If your cam has a prism splitter make sure you use circular Pol filter instead of the linear. The Prism acts like a low level Pol filter already. Adding another Linear Pol will negate the effect.


    ------------------

  3. #3
    tom hardwick
    Guest tom hardwick's Avatar

    Post

    Works very well Jim, in the same way as a polarisor works with any camera, film or digital. It'll add saturation and reduce reflections off water and glass (but not painted steel) but there are some points to beware of.

    1) You may need a circular polarisor. I do on my 1014 as the viewfinder takes it's light to the v/f and the light meter via a beam splitting prism. If you add a polarizor these can sometimes work against each other, making the v/f very dark and setting the wrong exposure.

    2) The polarisor only deepens a blue sky when used at 90 degrees to the sun. This makes pans difficult as the saturation of the colours change as you pan.

    3) continuity. This is a real headache as shots that are taken with the sun in different places don't cut together well.

    4) the leading lady won't like you as a polarisor takes all the shine out of her hair and makes skins look too matt for my liking.

    By all means give it a test run, but I've given up on mine - mainly for point 3) above.

    tom.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •